Art and craft and suffering.
There is a big differnece between are and craft. Art burst out no matter what you do, it can't be contained. Craft is hitching knotchs of yarn with yout aunt maybel until the family tree looks just special.
You practice cracft and hone your skills but art just is. You don't need to do anything at all, but it will burst forth from you .And it causes pain, it seems. Or perhaps pain causes it? Would einstein be remembered today if he were a good father? No, he would have been jst another crackpot. His fialed marriage and family left him with full time to concentrate on his problem.
Art bursts forth at the modt inoppotune moments. Suddenly I will be obsessed with a whaterwheel (ala ghost) and start spinning. I used to take the greatest care with each line. Now I bring it to my will immediately. I find what it is and I lift it out of the gunk in one smooth motion. The there is only fire the piece and that is whan I see it is perfect, usable. So I smash it on the floor and sleep it away. Like a grape that's ripened it can be no more magnificent, but its time has some. Instad of seeing my work rot in my mother's garage of friend's houses I destroy it completely.
Working on Something New
11 months ago
Don't you even take pictures of your pieces before you smash them?
ReplyDeleteI can see and understand your reasoning though, I just kinda wish I could see some of your art